Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Love of My Life or "It was a dark & stormy night"

I am often asked how I manage to keep going and keep a positive attitude with all that I go through on a daily basis.  Well, the main answer, the easiest answer, is that I have the most wonderful support from the man in my life, Jim Lawser!
Jim and I met in Rochester, MN, shortly after I was infected with HIV.  Jim always tells people that, "It was a dark and stormy night" that we met.  It was an evening at Silver Lake Park in Rochester where I had gone to watch the sunset on July 19th, 1986.  We had seen each other around town but until that evening we had never met.  Once we did meet, for me, it was love at first sight.  Jim was interested in me as a person, not just in having a good time or a one night stand.  That first night we talked for hours and really got to know each other.  It really didn't hurt that he was (in my opinion) extremely handsome and sweet plus he was older than me by 17 years and I always found older men to be more attractive.  As the weeks went by we exchanged notes, saw each other as often as we could and I really got to know the man who would become the love of my life.  Then, in the fall of that year, we moved to Minneapolis and began the adventure that would become our lives together.
Many years later, I got very sick and was hospitalized.  
Jim was by my side as I received my AIDS diagnosis.  He was by my side as I struggled against the pneumocystis pneumonia and other opportunistic infections that threatened my life.  He took off from work as I fought the 105 degree fever that raged through my body and he was the one who held my hand and promised to support me in my decision to fight to live.  Then when I was able to come home and begin the long journey to recovery, it was Jim who took care of my medical appointments, my many medications, my physical, mental and emotional needs.  When I decided, against my better judgment and my doctor's opinion, to return to work, it was Jim who fully supported me.  He gave me time to take care of myself and was there when I needed him most.  Even though I have always had the love and support of many friends and family members, it has always been Jim whose love and support has never waivered, especially in the worst of times.
Through our 28 years together, Jim has shown me the meaning of love and support.  He has shown me what a true spouse is.  He is the reason I keep going, I keep my positive attitude.  Jim is my reason to live and I plan to do so for a very long time.

Happy 28th Anniversary Jim!! 

Happy 8th Anniversary Husband of Mine!!!

Happy Legal At Last!!!

1 comment:

  1. You guys have the most successful marriage I know. I love you both.

    ReplyDelete

The politics of the day.

     As most of you may know, my political affiliation leans strongly to the left, more liberal side.  Although I do not believe in everythi...